Multifamily buildings, such as apartments, condominiums and retirement/care facilities are occupied 24 hours a day, seven days week. With electrical or gas appliances in every suite, the need for developing plans and the sharing of those plans with residents of these buildings is paramount.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, from 2013 to 2015, multifamily residential building fires accounted for an annual estimated 109,700 reported fires across the United States. These fires accounted for 29 per cent of all residential building fires responded to by fire departments across the nation. These fires resulted in an annual average of 405 deaths, 3,975 injuries, and $1.4 billion in property loss.
With June’s Grenfell Tower fire tragedy still fresh in the minds of many, closer to home, the recent fire at the Barclays Friends senior citizen living facility in West Chester, Pennsylvania, caused 160 staff and residents to evacuate the building. In cases such as senior care facilities, many more difficulties emerge in order to minimize injuries, deal with equipment, transportation and medication needs, or handle residents who may not be cooperative.
In most of these types of buildings (as compared to office commercial) there is virtually no planning or a lack of planning, and most residents and occupants have no knowledge of the plan or have been trained. With WPS Disaster Management’s newest technology, eVac app we can deliver the plan information, enhance evacuation reporting and deliver training direct to the user, something that was not even conceivable until now.
In addition to step-by-step emergency procedures, the eVac app includes many other features:
- Free download from the App Store and Google Play
- Easy to use, absolutely no technical knowledge required
- Accessible in both online and offline modes
- Automatic new content uploads when you log into the app
- Automatic app notification and updates to ensure you always have the most recent version
- Simple to use, built-in SMS/voice mass notification broadcast system
- One-click to report floor status – Report All Clear or Report Alert
- Quick access to your fire evacuation map and building floor plans
It’s time to enhance the safety of your residents and building employees. Contact us today to get started on your building’s fire safety plan.